Badminton Australia Ltd is the peak body for the sport of Badminton within Australia. Affiliated with the Badminton World Federation (BWF), it leads and develops the sport of Badminton across the country in partnership with its member State/Territory Sporting Organisations. Badminton has the unique position of being both and Olympic and Commonwealth Games sport and has in excess of 15,000 members throughout Australia. Key functions of Badminton Australia include the operation of a High-Performance Program, based in Melbourne, which is largely funded by Sport Australia. Badminton Australia also manages four international tournaments and four national carnivals. It also oversees participation, coach and technical official education along with player development. Badminton Australia has small group of key staff who are predominantly based out of the Melbourne Headquarters.
Primary Job Purpose
The role of the Performance Pathway Manager is to develop and improve the effectiveness of Badminton Australia’s Performance Pathway to successfully identify, develop, support and progress talented athletes.
In consultation with the High-Performance Director and CEO, the Performance Pathway Manager will develop and implement Badminton Australia’s Performance Pathway Strategy. This strategy will be aligned to Badminton Australia’s High-Performance Strategy and will include:
- Developing and maintaining a valid and reliable talent identification, profiling and confirmation method that can be used to select and categorise BA athletes.
- Ensuring that athletes on the BA Performance Pathway have the required training spaces, coaching and support services in their daily training environments.
- Providing strategic input and operational support for training and competition opportunities to maximise performance gains of BA athletes on the Performance Pathway.
- Develop the target profile of the coaching cohort that work with BA athletes on the Performance Pathway and assist with providing developmental opportunities to the coaching cohort.
- Facilitating closer links and alignment with talent programs (state, club or school) for progression into the emerging area of BA’s athlete categorisation framework.
- Lead and monitor the development of individual athlete performance and education programs.
- Ensuring connectivity and integration of the BA Junior High-Performance Program (JHPP) and BA High Performance Program (HPP).
- Working with the High-Performance Director to develop selection policies relating to the BA Performance Pathway and Athlete Categorisation Framework.
- Develop and implement Key Performance Indicators that effectively and accurately measure the impact and success of the Performance Pathway Strategy.
- In consultation with the CEO and High-Performance Director, develop operational plans and budgets aligned to the Performance Pathway Strategy.
- Work closely with the Australian Institute of Sport and other sports to capture and utilise best and/or next practice.
- Cultivate positive relationships with key stakeholders and BA members, including but not limited to National Institute Network, International Federations, Australian Olympic Committee, Commonwealth Games Australia, State and Territory Sporting Organisations.
- Report as necessary to the BA High Performance and Junior High-Performance Committees on the development and progress of the Performance Pathway Strategy.
- Actively promote, and align to, the organisation’s values.
- Actively contribute, as directed, to the general administration of the High-Performance Program.
The nature of this position is such that the Performance Pathway Manager will occasionally be required to be available outside the “normal” work hours. The appointee will be notified in advance when this will be requested.
The contract term will be 2 years from the commencment date, there is the potential for the position to be ongoing based on funding. Salary will be negotiated subject to relevant experience.
Qualifications & Experiences
- Degree or equivalent in Sports Management or related degree.
- Demonstrated experience in strategy development, strategy execution and stakeholder engagement.
- Proven experience in identifying and confirming talent (talent selection and/or talent transfer) within a sports environment.
- Experience in performance modelling and in the use, development and management of performance data to inform decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyse the effectiveness of the performance pathway and identify system and technical interventions to increase the progression of athletes within it.
- Experience of coordinating and quality controlling multidisciplinary teams (including coaches) and experts to enhance the successful delivery of the athlete pathway.
- Demonstrated collaborative style and political understanding to work positively in partnership with a variety of key stakeholders including the Australian Institute of Sport’s Performance Pathway Team.
- Financial acumen and budgetary management experience including annual planning, forecasting, contingency planning, grant applications and on-going management.
- Experience of working within a high achieving multi-disciplinary team within a performance environment.
- Determined individual who is prepared to relentlessly pursue success.
- Capability to maximise the skills and experiences of people around them.
- Able to energise and bring people together focussed on our strategic objectives.
- Ability to be flexible and manage workload within the available time.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to develop positive internal and external relationships at all levels.