Candidates are required to have:
- A reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability
The course consists of theory and practical components:
- Theory component - topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre
- Practical component - involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water
This interactive course is delivered in a blended format and requires attendance at a face to face training session over 2 full days.
It also requires the completion of an online interactive component and the completion of supervised industry training in a swim teaching environment with a range of teaching conditions.
- Introduction - an overview of AUSTSWIM and the aquatic industry
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
- How people learn
- Being an effective teacher
- Principles of movement in water
- Aquatic safety, survival and rescue skills
- Water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility
- Teaching safer diving skills
- Towards efficient stroke development
- Legal responsibilities for the AUSTSWIM Teacher
Assessment relates to both the Vocational Education Training requirements and AUSTSWIM requirements.
Your competency of skill, knowledge and understanding in delivery of swimming and water safety will be asessed using the 10 subject areas of the course.
Assessment is conducted during the face to face sessions, via online modules and during the industry training component via written or verbal responses, practical demonstrations and observations.
To get your AUSTSWIM accreditation, the following additional requirements need to be submitted;
- Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct.
- Complete a brief online course evaluation
- Show evidence of holding a current Working with Children Check (WWCC)
- Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) statement of attainment. For further information on CPR requirements please follow the tlink: https://austswim.com.au/Training/AUSTSWIMCourses/CPRInformation.aspx
- Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
The Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety course contains units of competency which are nationally recognised from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training package. Upon successful completion of all assessment requirements, candidates will be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following units:
- SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
- SISCAQU009 Instruct water safety and survival skills
- SISCAQU010 Instruct swimming strokes
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
Enrolment fee: $392
This fee covers:
- Course attendance and resources
- Insurance while completing the supervised industry training
- AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence once the qualification is issued
- AUSTSWIM Teacher Insurance
Please refer to our website for further information on AUSTSWIM Teacher Insurance: http://austswim.com.au/Teachers/Insurance.aspx
Course Dates & Locations: https://oramsocb.austswim.com.au/coursefinder/